Workplace Injuries, Who Pays Me While I Can’t Work?

If you are injured in the workplace and have to miss work for an extended period of time, there are several different types of lawsuit funding and ways that you can be paid.

It is most important that you hire a litigation attorney to get started on your personal injury lawsuit as soon as the accident happens.

In this Litigation Guide article you will learn more about workplace injuries and how you can get paid while you are out of work.

Workers Compensation

Employers are required to carry workers compensation for their employees. If you are injured at work – a workplace injury – then you are entitled to collect workers compensation insurance for the time you are out of work. The amount of workers compensation and the time period before you can begin collecting it vary by state. Talk with your employer about the guidelines where you live.

Supplemental Insurance

As an employee, you can carry your own insurance that will pay you on top of any workers compensation you receive. The company you might be most familiar with is AFLAC, but there are many private insurance companies that offer supplemental insurance. Some employers offer these policies as a benefit, and you can always get your own supplemental insurance to make up the difference between what workers compensation pays and what you need to pay the bills and maintain your lifestyle.

Long-Term Disability

If the injuries you sustained render you legally disabled, then you will be entitled to disability payments from the Social Security Administration – provided you’ve paid taxes and SSI withholdings. These payments don’t usually start until 6-12 months after you are evaluated and it is determined that you have a long-term disability.

Liability Lawsuit or Personal Injury Lawsuit

When you are injured at work through the negligence of the company, then you may have the basis for a liability lawsuit. If the company neglected standard safety measures, you can sue and probably win. If you believe that this is what happened, then you should contact a liability attorney or personal injury attorney for a free case evaluation.

If you were injured through the gross negligence of a co-worker, then you might also have the grounds for a personal injury lawsuit against that individual. Again, it would be best to contact personal injury lawyers to discuss your options.

Settlement Loan

If you have a clear-cut case against your employer or co-worker in a liability lawsuit or personal injury lawsuit, you might be able to get a settlement loan. There are many companies that will loan you money with the future settlement as collateral. The interest rates are low and the company incurs risk – with many loans, if you don’t win the lawsuit, you don’t have to pay back the loan.

Discuss the option of a settlement loan with your personal injury attorneys. They will be able to advise you on which company to apply to. They will also help you make the case to the company that you are likely to win the lawsuit, giving the lender the confidence to make the loan.

When you are out of work due to a workplace injury, you need money for medical bills as well as your standard expenses. You should be able to use one or more of the sources outlined here to meet your financial needs.