A Drunk Driver Hit Me And Now I Can’t Work, What Are My Next Steps?

If you are out of work due to the negligence of a drunk driver, you should act immediately to protect yourself and your financial future. If you can’t work due to injuries, emotional trauma or even the loss of your vehicle, what should you do?

When you’ve been the victim of a drunk driver, these tips from the Litigation Guide will help you know the next steps you should take.

Get the Police Report of the Incident and Make Sure it is Correct

Contact the responding police department and request a copy of the accident report. If medical responders came to the scene, get their report too. Read all reports carefully. Make sure that every detail is correct so that it will stand up in court if used as evidence. If the time of day, road conditions, specifics of the accident or the condition of the other driver is not accurately stated, request that the details be corrected.

If you sustained injuries, make sure that this fact is listed in the report. If no accident report was filed, then file one immediately. If the other driver was ticketed for any violation or was arrested for drunk driving, make sure that information is recorded in the police incident report.

These items are very important if you need to contact a personal injury lawyer to discuss your case.

Contact a Personal Injury Attorney

If you’re out of work due to the negligence of a drunk driver, then you probably have grounds for a lawsuit. This is true whether you were another driver or passenger in another vehicle, a pedestrian, a bicyclist or even a passenger in the vehicle driven by the drunk driver. Contacting a personal injury attorney, sometimes called a litigation attorney, is the next step to take.

Most personal injury lawyers offer free case evaluations. Discuss your situation with experienced litigation attorneys. Show them all the documents related to your case. You may want to speak with more than one personal injury lawyer before you decide which one to hire. Ask each one what they would do to make sure that you are compensated for your losses. You have the right to be compensated for vehicle repairs, all medical bills related to your injuries including future bills, the cost of physical therapy and lost wages from missing work. In some cases, a personal injury attorney might also seek to have you compensated for the pain and suffering you’ve experienced.

Have your Injuries Documented by a Physician

If you received treatment for injuries, request your records and review them carefully to make sure they are complete. If you sustained injuries that are not documented, see your physician immediately. Ask the doctor to verify the injuries and include them in your medical files. Get a copy of the records for your own file.

Many states have time limits for filing a personal injury lawsuit. If you have been hit by a drunk driver and can’t work, it is essential that you act immediately to protect your financial future and get the compensation or financial settlement to which you are due.